Saturday, September 11, 2010


Flowers are what spring is all about. They bring joy and pleasure to everyone who sees them, touches them and smells their fragrance. They are symbols of love, hope, friendship and sympathy. The variety is endless. From huge, exuberant sunflowers, classy lilies, romantic roses, exotic orchids and fragrant lavendars, to humble little wildflowers, they are all beautiful in their own way.





Countless poems mention flowers, artists have been painting, drawing, photographing flowers for ages and in the Bible Jesus said that not even the glorious king Solomon could compete with the beauty of the lilies in the field.
No wonder then that I cannot resist taking pictures of flowers big or small! I can also not resist comparing people to flowers. We all know a rose, a daisy, a lily and maybe even a cactus or two! What flower am I? Maybe one of those that only open when the sun shines on them! I have flowers in my garden that droop and wilt when not watered, fertilised and sprayed regularly. Near the sea at Cape st Francis there are stunning flowers that appear overnight and flourish without any attention. I think there is a lesson for me when I contemplate this. It is embarrassing to realise how emotionally high maintenance I can be.
Amazing to think that a tiny seed can grow and flower and bear fruit.
Enough of trying to be deep, I think I shall take my camera and go for a walk!



No comments:

Post a Comment